26 July 2009

Botulism Anyone?

So, my friend Theresa asked where I got the pickling recipes. I found them all on the internet, and they are all relatively the same. Some add both dill seed and dill weed (which I find to be a great pejorative, btw) while others forgo one or the other. Anyway, I was quite pleased with the actual process of pickling--despite my aforementioned mishap--and happy to have attempted something in the genre of what I like to call Epicurean Americana.

Then, while looking for other pickling recipes I checked out a different website: National Center for Home Food Preservation. What I saw there scared the bederekjeter out of me. And now all I can think of is whether the tart crispiness of pickled rutabaga is worth the tremors and sweats of botulism. Anyone?

No comments: