23 June 2009

Promises, Promises

There are times when I know I have failed. Today is one of those times. I stepped on the scale this morning and it read 304. Which, back in January, I would have been thrilled about because it would have meant that I had lost 13 pounds. However, in March I got down to 290. So, once again, the pendulum has swung back in the wrong direction.

It hurts, too, because I can see it as it happens. The trips to the gym start to evaporate. The alcohol begins to flow a little faster. The dinners out occur more frequently.

And then I am back over 300. Great for a first baseman's batting average. Bad for a 32 year old's weight.

Recently, I have been thinking a lot about the fact that I don't shave often, I continue to wear sweat-ridden tee shirts until the evening, and that my weight is a problem. All of these things I have been churning about in my head frequently for the past couple of weeks since a friend of mine is having marital difficulties because his wife doesn't find him attractive anymore. And I think about Courtney and that most likely, because of these very same reasons, there will come a time--if it hasn't already come--when she will not find me attractive anymore. And so I am struggling with how to adjust my lacksidasical grooming and presentation with the fact that there is someone who I want to be attracted to me.

So...I am promising a few things:
  1. I am going to shave more often. At least twice a week. Starting as soon as I find my razor this afternoon.
  2. I am going to be back at 290 by my birthday (July 16). At that point, I will reset my next weight-loss goal.
  3. I am going to work to look more presentable when we have company over or when we go out in public.
(As an aside to #3, I saw this couple in the Burnsville Mall today and she was dressed nicely, while he was unshaven and was wearing a tee-shirt with cut-off sleeves. He looked like shit.)

We'll see how it goes. I don't want to make too many promises in hopes that I can actually meet those that I do promise.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Small, manageable goals...I hear you on this weight loss thing. I regained all my baby weight and didn't QUITE get to my first day of Weight Watchers weight again, but almost. I'm taking the summer to work really hard at it and had to come to grips with the fact that I also need to exercise. Part of it is about whether or not my husband will find me attractive; part of it is about how I feel about myself. A lot of it is wanting to have the energy to chase my child around and maybe play sports with him; a lot of it is not wanting to be that mother in Gilbert Grape who my child will have to struggle to be proud of. It is SO DAMNED HARD!!!!! But you can do it, and Courtney is a great support network. Good luck!